National Sports Law Institute 30th Anniversary Conference: 30 Years of Sports Law
- Conference Registration
- Conference Schedule
- Conference Hotel
- Continuing Legal Education for Attorneys
- Conference Sponsors
- Conference Participants
On Friday, October 18th, 2019, the National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School will host its annual conference "30 Years of Sports Law" celebrating the 30th anniversary of the creation of the Institute. The conference include presentations and panel discussions providing a historical look at the development of the law impacting high school, college, professional and international/Olympic sport.
The conference will also feature the presentation of the Master of the Game Award to Marquette University Law School Dean Emeritus Frank DeGuire. The Master of the Game Award honors an individual who has made significant contributions to the sports industry and who exemplifies the highest level of professionalism in his or her field. Dean DeGuire was the Dean in 1989 when the Institute was created, and was instrumental in ensuring that it had the support needed to thrive and grow over the next 30 years.
The conference will take place in the home of the National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School, Eckstein Hall.
.Registration is now closed as the confernce is full.
TENTATIVE CONFERENCE SCHEDULE (specific details will be available the week of the conference)
Friday, October 18, 2019
- 8 - 9 am: Attendee check in and Continental Breakfast (Eckstein Hall welcome area and Zilber Forum)
- 9 am - 12 pm: Conference panels and presentations (Lubar Center)
- 12 - 12:30 pm: Presentation of the Master of the Game Award (Lubar Center)
- 12:30 -1:30 pm: Conference lunch (Zilbur Forum)
- 1:30 - 5:30 pm: Conference panels and presentations (Lubar Center)
- 5:30 - 7 pm : Conference reception and check out (Zilber Forum)
- Conference Reception Sponsored by
- Conference Reception Sponsored by
- Dave Anderson, Executive Director, Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association, Stevens Point, WI
- Paul M. Anderson (L’95), Director, Sports Law Program and National Sports Law Institute and Adjunct Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School, Founder and Chair, Sports Law Alumni Association, Milwaukee, WI
- Andrew Brandt, Executive Director, Moorad Center for Sports Law, Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, and member, NSLI Board of Advisors, Villanova, PA
- Mike Broeker, Deputy Athletic Director, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- Kerri Cebula (L’06), Associate Professor, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, and member, Sports Law Alumni Association, Pottstown, PA
- Timothy Davis, John W. & Ruth H. Turnage Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law, and member, NSL Board of Advisors, Winston-Salem, NC
- Janis K. Doleschal, Sports Law Consultant, Start Playing Safe, Former Commissioner of Sports and Athletics, Milwaukee Public Schools, and member, NSLI Board of Advisors, Delafield, WI
- Shawn M. Eichorst (L’95), Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director, Internal Affairs, University of Texas, member, NSL Board of Advisors and Sports Law Alumni Association, Austin, TX
- Gabriel Feldman, Paul and Abram B. Barron Associate Professor of Law and Sher Garner Faculty Scholar, Associate Provost, NCAA Compliance and Director, Sports Law Program, Tulane University Law School, Tulane, LA
- Jack Ford, Emmy and Peabody Award-winning broadcast journalist, CBS News Correspondent for “60 Minutes Sports,” host of “Metro Focus” on PBS (WNET-New York), Co-Founder and Chief Anchor of the digital network American Ed TV, visiting lecturer, Yale University, and consultant for the NCAA, Spring Lake, NJ
- Stephanie Galvin (L’14), Associate General Counsel, Miami Marlins, and member, Sports Law Alumni Association, Miami, FL
- James Gray (L'90), Associate Professor, and Sport & Recreation Management Program Director, Marian University; Assistant Director, National Sports Law Institute 1990-1997; member, Sports Law Alumni Association and NSLI Board of Advisors, Fond du Lac, WI
- Martin J. Greenberg (L’71), Managing Member, Law Office of Martin J. Greenberg, LLC, and Adjunct Professor of Law, Founder and Director, National Sports Law Institute, 1989-1997, member, Sports Law Alumni Association and NSLI Board of Advisors Milwaukee, WI
- Michelle Guyant-Holloway, Athletic Director, Wauwatosa East High School, Wauwatosa, WI
- Greg Heller (L’96), Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, Atlanta Braves, and member, Sports Law Alumni Association, Atlanta, GA
- Jon Israel, Partner and Co-Chair, Sports Industry Team, Foley & Lardner LLP, New York, NY
- Gary L. Johansen, Advisory Counsel, United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee, and member, NSLI Board of Advisors, Colorado Springs, CO
- Joseph Kearney, Dean and Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School
- Wade Labecki, Deputy Director, Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association, Stevens Point, WI
- Sean McCarthy (L’16), Assistant AD for Compliance, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
- Jim McKeown, Partner and Member, Management Committee and Antitrust Practice Group, Foley & Lardner LLP, Adjunct Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School, and member, NSLI Board of Advisors, Milwaukee, WI
- Richard McLaren, Professor of Law, Western University Ontario, Ontario, Canada, Counsel to McKenzie Lake Lawyers LLP, and Member, Court of Arbitration for Sport, Lausanne, Switzerland, and member, NSLI Board of Advisors
- Matt Mikrut, Director, Office of the Committees on Infractions, NCAA, Indianapolis, IN
- Matthew J. Mitten, Professor of Law and Executive Director, National Sports Law Institute and LL.M. in Sports Law Program for Foreign Lawyers, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI
- Andy Shiffman (L'09), Executive Vice President of Basketball Representation, Priority Sports and Entertainment, and member, Sports Law Alumni Association, Chicago, IL
- Lance Spaude (L’16), Associate Agent, Iridium Sports Agency, and member, Sports Law Alumni Association, Las Vegas, NV
- Nathaniel St. Clair, II (L’04), Partner, Jackson Walker L.L.P., and member, Sports Law Alumni Association, Dallas, TX
- Ante Udovicic (L’98), Athletics, Activities & Recreation Coordinator, South Milwaukee High School, and member, Sports Law Alumni Association, South Milwaukee, WI
- Maureen Arellano Weston, Professor of Law, Pepperdine University, School of Law, and member, NSLI Board of Advisors, Malibu, CA
CONFERENCE HOTEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS
For a limited time, rooms are available at a discounted rate at the Courtyard by Marriott (@ 4 blocks from the conference site). Book by October 10th to get the special rate of $131.00 (click the registration link here). Other hotel recommendations near the Marquette University campus can be found here.
CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION INFORMATION
The NSLI will seek approval for CLE credits from the Wisconsin Board of Bar Examiners. The NSLI will also apply for CLE credit to any state for which a conference or seminar attendee seeks credit. Individual attorneys must pay the fees associated with any out of state applications. Individuals seeking CLE credit must attend the entire conference. The NSLI cannot award partial CLE credit. All CLE approvals will take place after the conference.
PARKING AND DIRECTIONS
Parking information and directions to Eckstein Hall can be found here. Parking will be available at no charge for all registered conference attendees in level 1 of the Eckstein Hall parking structure, until space is full. The entrance for visitor parking is on 11th street just before Clybourn Avenue. Please identify yourself as a "Sports Law Conference Attendee" to the parking lot attendant and get a parking ticket as you enter the parking garage. When you enter the building, please check in at the conference registration desks. They will validate your parking and direct you to the Appellate Courtroom, room 144, where the conference will take place.