Care for the Person
We take the Jesuit educational principle, Care for the Person (cura personalis), seriously at Marquette University Law School. In a special way, this value is expressed through our desire to listen to our students and to help them sort through the personal changes and challenges they will experience while attending law school.
We are cognizant that a student brings so much more to law school than a sharp mind and a keen intellect. Our concern is for the whole person, and encounters with students often present an opportunity to discuss emotional, physical, or spiritual matters as well as academic issues.
The design and features of Eckstein Hall itself contribute to wellness of the "whole person, " all that encompasses mind, body, and spirit:
- The Eckstein Hall Fitness Center includes individual exercise equipment, shower rooms, and a workout room as well as fitness classes during the semester. Our students also enjoy use of the University's recreation centers for swimming, tennise, basketball, indoor running tracks, etc. The Eckstein Hall Fitness Center, however, is available for use only by members of the Law School community.
- The Tory Hill Café serves wonderful meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the fall and spring semesters) and offers a variety of healthy options for those hungry for something other than what the vending machines can provide.
- The St. Edmund Campion Chapel on the 4th floor is a quiet spot for private reflection and the location of monthly Masses during the school year, celebrated by Father Thomas Anderson, S.J., our law school chaplain.
- Student Services is open until 9:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday when fall and spring classes are in session. There is almost always someone available for individual assistance on any matter.
The student services professionals listed below stand ready to counsel students on a wide-range of non-academic issues and welcome students to share both the setbacks and the triumphs that are all part of the law school experience:
- Erin Binns, Assistant Director of Career Planning
- Jane Casper, Assistant Dean for Students
- Andrew Faltin, Director of Student Affairs
- Bonnie Thomson, Associate Dean